Friday 26 April 2024

Canada opens new visa application centre in Portugal

 Canada opens new visa application centre in Portugal

VACs are managed by private companies that have contracts with the Government of Canada. Their primary role is to accept documents required in the visa application process, securely transmit them to IRCC offices and provide biometric collection services. VAC service agents are available by phone, email or in person to answer questions in local languages and to help make sure that applications are complete.

The people-to-people ties between Canada and Portugal have grown stronger over time and, today these ties are underpinned by a vibrant Canadian community of Portuguese origin. That is why IRCC remains committed to making it easier than ever for Portuguese citizens to travel to Canada. The opening of a new visa application centre in Lisbon will offer them greater flexibility and accessibility to visit, study or work in Canada, and open the door to new opportunities for social, economic and cultural exchange that will benefit both countries.


“The opening of the first-ever Canada visa application centre in Portugal is another example of our commitment to improving visa processing efficiency and client service. Portuguese citizens already enjoy visa-exempt travel to Canada for up to six months, and the new VAC will make it even easier for them to apply to visit longer, study or work in Canada, all while contributing to our economy and deepening the ties between our countries.”

– The Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

Quick facts

  • IRCC began opening VACs in the mid 2000s. The first one opened in India, followed by one in China. VACs are not involved in making decisions on files nor are they authorized to provide applicants with advice about their visas or permits.

  • Portuguese citizens visiting Canada for up to six months typically only need an electronic travel authorization. Those who plan to visit or study for longer than six months or to work in Canada are required to apply for a visa and a study or work permit. 

  • With the opening of the Lisbon VAC, applicants in Portugal will no longer need to travel outside of the country, which helps reduce costs as well as distance and travel time and improve client service. Non-Portuguese citizens living in Portugal who need a visa to come to Canada can also access services at the Lisbon VAC. Applicants can make an appointment as of February 12, 2024.

  • Canada and Portugal enjoy strong bilateral relations and celebrated 70 years of formal diplomatic relations in 2022. According to the 2021 Census, roughly 448,000 people of Portuguese origin live in Canada.

  • Canada and Portugal have a bilateral youth mobility arrangement. Under the arrangement, Portuguese and Canadian youth aged 18 to 35 can work and travel in each other’s country for up to 24 months. 

Sunday 24 March 2024

Immigrate to Canada Programs, Forms, Classes and Information

Immigrate to Canada Programs, Forms, Classes and Information

Start-up Visa Program

Canada’s Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada (outside Quebec) that

  •  are innovative
  •  can create jobs for Canadians
  •  can compete on a global scale

Apply through the Start-up Visa Program

To apply for the Start-up Visa Program, you must

  • pitch your qualifying start-up to a designated organization and get their support
  • meet the language requirements
  • bring enough money to settle
For answers, suggestions advice or referral to a RCIC Immigration Consultant email:

Monday 7 August 2023

2022 Annual Report on Language Education in Canada

 Languages Canada Executive Summary  

2022 Annual Report on Language Education in Canada

Market Overview

In 2022, Languages Canada members taught a total of 97,679 students.

Students spent 1,098,558 weeks studying English

LC members recovered 65% of their pre-pandemic student numbers and 73% of student study weeks.

Course duration preferences remained unchanged since 2019. 

Half of students (50%) enrolled on courses lasting between 4 and 12 weeks.

Languages Canada members employed a minimum of 4,941 staff in 2022. 

This still only represents 49% of teaching capacity employed in 2019.

In 2022, the fastest-growing visa category was the visitor visas (from 5,276 to 29,727). 

Delays of visa processing hampered travel plans for a minimum of 9,709 students. 

read the full report here:

Saturday 17 June 2023

Work and travel in Canada with International Experience Canada

 If you're 18 to 35 (18 to 30 in some countries), come work and travel in Canada through International Experience Canada (IEC)! 

It's a government program designed to help you gain valuable international work experience, improve your language skills in English and French and work in Canada and fund the trip of a lifetime.

Countries with agreements:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, 

Who can participate:

To participate your country or territory of citizenship must have a Youth Mobility Agreement with Canada or you may be able to use a recognized organization.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice, but in different categories. Because each country is different, it’s important that you check to see if you’re eligible to apply. Even if you’re issued an invitation to apply, you can’t participate more times than your country allows. 

After you submit your application, an officer will assess your eligibility, including your past participations. Make sure you read and understand all the requirements before you submit an application.

Even if you hold a refugee travel document issued by a country that has a youth mobility agreement with Canada, you’re not eligible to participate.

Your dependants can’t come with you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. An officer will look at your application separately from theirs.

If you are coming to Canada for a short time your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada, if they:

- meet all the requirements for temporary residents to Canada,

- satisfy an immigration officer they will only stay in Canada temporarily,

- can prove they have no criminal record, if necessary, and

- meet all the conditions for getting a temporary resident visa, if they are from a country or territory whose citizens require a visa in order to enter Canada as visitors.

read all program details here:

Monday 12 June 2023

13 more countries now qualify for visa-free travel to Canada

June 6, 2023, 11:30 a.m.—Winnipeg 

Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, announced the addition of 13 countries to the electronic travel authorization (eTA) program. Travellers from these countries who have either held a Canadian visa in the last 10 years or who currently hold a valid United States non-immigrant visa can now apply for an eTA instead of a visa when travelling to Canada by air. 

Effective today, eligible travellers from these 13 countries qualify for the program:

Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Costa Rica, Morocco, Panama, Philippines, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay

Quick facts

The eTA is a digital travel document that most visa-exempt travellers need in order to travel to or transit through Canada by air.

The eTA application is used by Canadian officials to conduct light-touch, pre-travel screening of air travellers. It costs CAN$7 to apply, and most applications are automatically approved within minutes.

To apply for an eTA, travellers need only a valid passport, a credit card, an email address and access to the Internet.

Within the next year, Canada expects to receive 200,000 (or 20%) more visitors from these 13 countries. 

Within a decade, increased travel from these countries is expected to bring almost $160 million in additional tourism revenue.

Full details of this announcement

Find out about Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)